What makes good chicken wings GREAAAAT???!! The addition of smoke! These wings are easy to execute, you just need to let them absorb smoke flavor on the grill before glazing them in bbq sauce at the end. These will make it to your top 5 wing recipes, I guarantee!
Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 2.5 lbs of chicken wings and drummettes
- 3–4 tbsp all purpose BBQ Rub
- 1/2 bottle BBQ Sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Apple or cherry wood chips (or both)
- Preheat grill to medium high heat and prepare a direct and indirect heating zone.
- Rinse chicken wings and pat dry. Coat with olive oil and then add the BBQ rub.
- Add wood chips to your fire and let them begin to smoke.
- Put the wings/drummettes on the indirect heat side of the grill and let them smoke for approximately 30 to 40 minutes. Turn the chicken once during this process to cook/smoke evenly.
- Next, put the wings on direct heat and add sauce to both sides. Grill on direct heat for an additional 10 minutes and let the wings develop nice char marks.
- Using an internal thermometer, check that the wings have reached an internal temp of 165 degrees.
- Tent the wings for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with additional BBQ sauce and your favorite slaw and side such as tater tots or sweet potato fries. Enjoy going back for seconds!
PRO TIP: Add the sauce during the last 10 minutes of grilling for a sweet, sticky, delectable finish!