Different types of wood compliment meat when smoked on the grill.
What types of wood go with what can be confusing so I've created a brief guide of wood types, smoke flavors, and their food pairings. To give credit where credit is due for this information, I found a flyer with this information at the local grilling store with the source unknown.
Types of wood – flavor: pairing
- Alder – delicate, slightly sweet: fish, pork, poultry and light game. Traditionally used in the pacific NW to smoke salmon.
- Apple – slightly sweet but denser; fruity smoke flavor: Goes with beef, pouty, game birds, ham and salmon.
- Cherry – slightly sweet, fruity smoke flavor: good with all meats and seafood
- Cedar – mild and aromatic: used in the NW for smoking salmon
- Grape Vines – aromatic, similar to fruitwood: good with most meat
- Hickory – pungent, smoky, bacon-like flavor. This is the most commonly used wood for smoking: great for all smoking but especially on pork and ribs
- Maple – mildly smoky and sweet: great with pork, poultry, cheese, vegetables, and small game birds
- Mesquite – strong earthy flavor: while this is great with beef and most vegetables, it goes well with other meat too
- Oak – heavy smoke flavor: good with red meat, pork, fish and heavy game
- Peach – slightly sweet, woodsy flavor: good with most meat
- Pear – sweet and woodsy flavor: poultry, game birds and pork
- Pecan – the flavor is milder and sweeter than hickory: good with most meats
- Walnut – very heavy smoke flavor hence tends to be used with lighter woods like pecan or apple. It can be bitter used alone: good with red meats and game
Interested in more grilling tricks and techniques? Check out these related posts!
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
I like your writing style, and I’m hoping for more blog posts like this one.
i know i’m a little off topic, but i just wanted to say i love the layout of your blog. i’m new to the blogegine platform, so any suggestions on getting my blog looking nice would be appreciated.