Just in time for Mother's Day is Grilled French Toast!! This is excellent on its own but is EVEN BETTER when served as a French Toast- Strawberry Shortcake rendition. Now here is an easy recipe that will make people think you are the grilling goddess!Print
Brunch Just Got Better: Grilled French Toast
I originally got this recipe from Sandra Lee as seen in Southern Lady and have adapted it slightly.
- Whole loaf of bread (white, Italian, challah; brioche is great too!)
- Eggs (5 to 6 for the entire loaf)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Dash or two of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. (or more) milk
- 2–3 tbsp. Triple Sec, Cointreau, Grand Marnier or orange juice (optional)
- Nonstick spray
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1–2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2–3 tbsp. sugar or Splenda
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Whipped cream, Cool Whip OR crème fraiche (now that would make it super yummy!)
- Before preheating your grill to medium heat, spray non-stick spray on the grates. This will cut down on the bread sticking.
- Beat your eggs and add the milk, vanilla, cinnamon and optional Triple Sec to the mixture.
- Cut your slices of bread pretty thick because they are going to be going on the grill. Think of the thickness of a NY strip or slightly thicker.
- Dip slices in egg mixture and make sure they get good and saturated.
- Once the grill is good and hot at medium, place your slices on the grill and cook until there are grill marks on one side. Be careful not to burn, and then switch sides (at the same time I will cook sausage links or patties on the grill)
Strawberry Compote mixture for filling: (make beforehand so it can thicken)
- Mix cut-up strawberries with vinegar, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and let sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve the French toast slices with strawberries and whipped cream sandwiched on the inside. Copious amounts of powdered sugar, mimosas and Bloody Marys are encouraged too!
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
french toast looks yummy
This looks delicious!Hope you wont mind but I’d love to bring over Foodista readers to your site, just add this little widget here to this post and it’s all set to go, Thanks!
Owwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhh, this looks good! I have two grills; will have to try!
what a great idea!!