logo
      Food Advertising by

Jamaican Jerk BBQ Sauce

JErk BBQ Sauce, jerk marinade, jerk marinade recipe, jerked bbq sauce, how to make jerk chicken

Jamaican Jerk BBQ Sauce- liven up dinner with flavors of the Caribbean!

I’m a big fan of Jerk Seasoning and flavors. Traditional Jerk combines the flavors of allspice, scotch bonnet peppers, green onion, thyme, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar. It is a heady combination of aromatic spices and heat, that makes for a pungently addictive marinade. Living in South Florida, we have a large Carribean population being so close to the islands so I lucky to find Jamaican ingredients and the best premade Jerk seasoning available if I don’t have time to make it myself.

I recently picked up a copy of Virginia Burke’s Eat Caribbean in an effort to teach myself how to cook the Rotis and Pepperpot stews I’ve been exposed to in my travels. Virginia also happens to be the marketing director for Walkerswood Foods, which my Jamaican friends tell me is the most authentic Jerk Seasoning you can buy in the market.

I found this cute vintage Florida Napkin on etsy.com that is perfect as a backdrop in photos. Love those flamingos too!

Virginia has a Jamiacan Jerk BBQ sauce recipe in her book that I’m sharing with you below. While I usually like to make Jerk Seasoning from scratch, I had a bottle of Walkerswood and used it in this recipe and it turned out great. The only variation I made was using twice the amount of Jerk seasoning and the addition of lime zest. I like things spicy so if you can’t handle spice, reduce the amount of Jerk to 1 tblsp. I put this on chicken legs, but this sauce would be excellent on pork as well. Pretty much anything you might put BBQ sauce on.

Ingredients: (recipe adapted from Eat Caribbean by Virginia Burke)

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pot and let simmer for 10 minutes or until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Store in the refrigerator. You can also try my Jerk Seasoning Paste Recipe as a great variation to use in this recipe.

Virginia Burke’s Jerk Seasoning Recipe (fyi, Virginia is managing marketing director of Walkerswood Food so this is a very authentic recipe)

• 6 green onions
  • 1-3 scotch bonnet peppers (use only one if you can’t handle too much heat)
  • 2 tsp allspice berries or 1tsp ground allspice
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme OR 1/2 tbsp dried thyme
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp grated nutmeg
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup white malt vinegar
  • 1 tbsp oil

Print Friendly

, , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to Jamaican Jerk BBQ Sauce

1. Tatoosh August 18, 2013 at 6:37 pm #

Very nice that they share the recipe! I will keep an eye out for their products. I like to support companies that help others make superior food. Very commendable!

2. Brian Meagher August 18, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

What a great resource for a homemade jerk seasoning. Jerk seasoning recipes all seem to have tons of ingredients, but I guess that’s the “nature of the beast”.

3. Greg August 19, 2013 at 11:25 am #

Next time I make ribs, I’m using this sauce. I love jerk. I think I am going to have to run out and get some for lunch as I’m craving it now.

Greg

4. Jenn August 20, 2013 at 7:27 am #

Ooohhh, this sounds fantastic. I love jerk seasoning, so I can only imagine how good this is!!

5. John August 22, 2013 at 2:31 pm #

So how did this sauce turn out? I am curious because I was excited to try some Jamaican Jerk seasoned salsa and was disappointed with the results. However, I think it could work better with bbq sauce.

6. Robyn August 23, 2013 at 8:37 am #

John- you will not be disappointed in this sauce. The marinade on it’s own is fantastic!

7. Chris August 25, 2013 at 11:32 am #

I thoroughly enjoy Walkerswood paste, it is easily the best commercial jerk paste I have had. Although I like my homemade version even more :)

8. Griffin September 26, 2013 at 7:36 am #

Sounds wonderful. I’ve used the Walkerswood on wings before. One question on your sauce. Do you add 2 tbsp of the Walkerswood jerk? Or is it the whole 10 oz? Maybe its just early in the morning, but that seems a bit unclear to me.

9. Robyn September 26, 2013 at 1:26 pm #

HI Griffin-

2 tbsp. Of course if you like it REALLY REALLY spicy, you can always add more. At 2tbs, it is pretty spicy already. Hope this helps

10. Catering Sonoma County September 27, 2013 at 1:27 am #

Where can I purchase Jerk BBQ Sauce?

11. Robyn October 1, 2013 at 7:03 am #

Hi there- I haven’t seen an actual jerk bbq sauce, you would have to buy some jerk seasoning paste and mix it with bbq sauce or make your own.

12. Brian Meagher October 1, 2013 at 8:49 am #

@Catering Sonoma County – Walkerswood makes a Jamaican Jerk Barbecue Sauce available on Amazon:

13. Robyn October 1, 2013 at 9:17 am #

thanks Brian!

14. Griffin October 10, 2013 at 8:59 am #

Thanks for clearing that up, Robyn. Makes perfect sense now. I think I just hadn’t had my cup of coffee yet that morning.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Ribs on the Weber Kettle Using the Grill-Roast Method | Grill Grrrl Blog: Grill Girl, Big Green Egg Recipes, Healthy Grilling Recipes, Tailgating Recipes, Paleo RecipesGrill Grrrl Blog: Grill Girl, Big Green Egg Recipes, Healthy Grilling Recipes, Tailgati - April 27, 2014

[…] Jamaican Jerk BBQ Sauce […]