logo
      Food Advertising by

Grilled Oysters With Jalapeno Butter Sauce

1 ” title=”Grilled Oysters with jalapeno butter sauce” src=”http://grillgirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/DSCN0883-1024×507.jpg” alt=”” width=”819″ height=”406″ />

Grilled Oysters- they tell you when they're done on the grill by opening up!

Grilled oysters are one of the first “adventurous” dishes I tried out on the grill when I started GrillGrrrl.com almost 3 years ago. I recently had an experience trying to grill a type of oyster from the Pacific Northwest that I was unfamiliar with, and it made me think about the first time I wrote about oysters. The lesson from my new oyster experience is that some oysters are better for half-shell presentation than others. The oyster from the Pacific Northwest that I tried had a very brittle shell that made a mess on the plate, and therefore the oyster needed to be removed from the shell before serving.

This recipe, that serves the sauce directly on the oyster still in the shell, uses Gulf Coast and Florida oysters, which are great for grilling and also presenting on the dish. This is my go-to sauce for oysters and I think you will dig it!

Jalapeno butter sauce- YUM!

As originally posted on June 9th, 2009!:

There’s not too much to grilling oysters, and thank God for that. I like to leave the high maintenance stuff to other people (!!!) Anyway, preheat the grill to medium/medium high. Basically, get the grill hot. Throw your oysters on and shut the lid, grill the oysters until they pop open, about 5 minutes or less. As the first ones open up, I put them on the top basket/bread area of the grill so they stay warm but don’t stay on the direct heat.

Jalapeno Butter Sauce

• 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/2 shallot, chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic
  • 1-2minced jalapenos, depending on desired heat
  • sea salt/pepper

Saute the shallots in the butter. Add the wine and simmer for 7-10 minutes, letting some of the liquid reduce down. Add the jalapenos and garlic, simmer a little longer…

Pour sauce on top of the opened oysters. Enjoy!!

Print Friendly

, , , ,

9 Responses to Grilled Oysters With Jalapeno Butter Sauce

1. Griffin's Grub March 16, 2012 at 8:51 am #

Those oysters look (and sound) amazing! I need to try that. Just wish oysters were cheaper in Dallas. Do you have any recipes for char grilled oysters like they do at Drago’s in New Orleans?

2. Chris March 16, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

Looks good. Did you grill the jalapeno a little first or just dice it up?

3. Lea Ann March 17, 2012 at 8:08 am #

Well, ok, I’m going to try this. My biggest adventure on the grill has been shrimp. Love the sound of the butter.

4. Robyn March 17, 2012 at 9:26 am #

Chris- I just chopped up my jalapeño but I think charring them first would be a nice recipe twist!!

5. Denise Lynn March 27, 2012 at 11:34 am #

Robyn~~~you mention saute the onions but do not say how much or which kind ~~?????~~my guess would either be scallions or shallots ~~??????~~~by the way Voted!!!~~FYI~~~much luck to you~~~you do a great job woman~~smile

6. Robyn March 27, 2012 at 3:38 pm #

Denise-

I’ve had this recipe up on this site for year and your are the first one to find it. I can’t believe I was missing the ingredient. I have since changed it- thanks so much for pointing this out. I used 1/2 chopped scallion.

7. Craig October 1, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

Do you seed / devein the Jalapino or mince whole?

How do you recommend removing the top shell of a hot oyster while still preserving the natual liquids?

Have you considered opening the oysters and grilling them on the half shell and using the sauce as a base?

8. Courtney May 31, 2014 at 8:25 pm #

I actually am watching that experience with those NW oysters… which brought me to your site! I love oysters and jalepenos too!! So can’t wait to try this one!!

9. Robyn June 2, 2014 at 7:54 am #

Hi Courtney, I love oysters too- too bad those didn’t turn out better on the show but lesson learned! Not all oysters cook the same!