logo
      Food Advertising by

Pork Ribs on the Big Green Egg

Grill Girl, Robyn Medlin, Grill Grrrl, Pork Rib Recipe on the Big Green Egg, Smoked Ribs,

Once you add the ribs, maintain the temp of the grill/smoker at 250 degreens for 3-4 hours or until the internal temp of the meat reaches 165 degrees.

As many of you all know, my parents are into the ‘Cue. My dad just started a competition BBQ team called North South Smokers and my mom, well, she’s a Southern Lady. She just can’t help but be a good cook, it’s in her genes.

I gave a presentation in Charleston a few weeks ago and it was the perfect time to drive up and see my parents in Myrtle Beach for the weekend. While there we did my favorite- Ribs on the Big Green Egg.

There have been a few other posts about the Green Egg as offered from my dad, Tropical Storm Eddie. Here’s a brief recap on why everything is great on the BGE, including Ribs.

A BGE is a ceramic smoker that can sear at high tempatures but also do a great job at low and slow. It is the ultimate versatile grill and smoker- the ceramic nature helps regulate the temperature.

Ingredients:

• 2 slabs ribs, enough for 4 people
  • 1/4 cup Neely’s BBQ rub recipe- recipe follows: (1 cup paprika, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons onion powder- you can make a batch and save for future use)
  • olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons mustard
  • 4 cups/one small bowl of wood chips: 2 parts hickory, 1 part cherry- soak in water for 3o minutes beforehand

Adding mustard acts as an adhesive for the dry rub on the ribs.

Directions:

Remove outer membrane from the ribs. Slather the ribs with mustard and apply a generous amount of rub to both sides. Let marinate in the fridge for a few hours.

Soak wood chips in water for 30 minutes before putting them on the BGE.

Start grill according to preferred method. Once grill starts to heat up, add wood chips so they can get started smoking. Regulate temperature until it reaches 250 degrees.

Once the BGE has reached 250 degrees, put the ribs on. Regulate the temperature using the bottom vent and the daisy wheel to continuously stay at 250. Smoke for 3-4 hours or until the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees. I recommend using the Thermapen to check internal temps as a full-proof method for measuring temperature.

Tip: According to Tropical Storm Eddie (a certified BBQ Judge)- competition ribs are not fall off the bone but instead, will leave a bite mark when bitten into. While extremely moist, they are not literally falling off the bone. Look for the smoke ring inside- you know it’s the real deal!!

Dad goes in for the taste test. Conclusion: “These ribs are winners!”

You can serve your ribs dry (ie, only with the rub on them) or, add your favorite BBQ sauce the last 20 minutes on the BGE for a nice glazed finish. You can also just serve with your favorite sauce on the side.

Serve with your favorite slaw! My mom has a jicama slaw recipe that is to die for- I’ll be posting that soon!

Man, these were good. If only I had stayed longer to enjoy the leftovers!

Print Friendly

, , , , , ,

15 Responses to Pork Ribs on the Big Green Egg

1. Kirk February 8, 2011 at 9:46 am #

Thanks for the great rib tips. I’m an egghead whose been strugling to conquer the elusive rib.

2. Eddie Medlin February 8, 2011 at 10:22 pm #

Hi Kirk,

Feel free to call me anytime about ribs. Robyn has my number.

3. Jenn's Food Journey February 9, 2011 at 8:12 am #

Ohhhh… I’m with your dad, the ribs at least look like winners!! YUM! I keep saying I need to get a BGE…one of these days……

4. Chris February 10, 2011 at 10:45 pm #

I haven’t done ribs in far too long. Think I will have to smoke up a batch this weekend!

5. Jeremy C February 22, 2011 at 8:29 pm #

Awesome stuff here, living in Idaho BBQ’ing is a huge part of our lives whether its game or good ‘ol beef =) Keep up the good work!

6. Robyn February 23, 2011 at 7:27 am #

Thanks for stopping by Jeremy! Look forward to hearing of your BBQ adventures!

7. Jimbo March 4, 2011 at 6:15 am #

looks really awesome! very tasty!

8. Big Green Egg August 20, 2011 at 9:41 pm #

Great looking ribs. I love ribs on the Big Green Egg.

9. R Davis May 18, 2012 at 7:53 am #

Great recipe. Thanks for sharing.

10. Randy August 25, 2012 at 9:46 pm #

thanks for for the tips…. I love doing ribs! wonderful blog!

11. Robyn August 26, 2012 at 3:06 pm #

Thanks Randy!

12. Charlotte pest control September 23, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

Tried this and my wife absolutely loved it! you are a green egg king!!!

13. Robyn September 26, 2012 at 7:09 am #

So glad you liked it! I’m about to post another rib recipe on the site that you can try as well with a cherry bbq sauce glaze.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Baseball and grilled ribs from BriarPatch/Cal Organics « Jeff Pelline's Sierra Foothills Report - March 31, 2011

[…] work. A recipe from “Grill Grrrl — Adventures of a girl on a grill” is here. I just use fresh cracked pepper and a little salt, however. Play […]

2. How To Make Ribs: Tips from BBQ Pitmaster's Tuffy Stone and Moe Cason | Grill Grrrl Blog: Grill Girl, Big Green Egg Recipes, Healthy Grilling Recipes, Tailgating Recipes, Paleo Recipes - August 5, 2014

[…] delicious when done right, but are pretty easy to screw up. There are two ways I like to do ribs- smoke them or do the “grill-roast method“. I got a chance to catch up with seasoned BBQ […]